Monday, January 26, 2009

2009 So Far

As I mentioned in my New Year's post, I'm tracking games played online this year.

I'd expected it to make an impact on my games played, but I hadn't expected the impact to be as significant as it has been.

How significant has it been?

We're about three quarters of the way through the month, and I've recorded (at the time I'm writing this) just shy of 90 games played. I expect to break 100 by the first, making this the busiest gaming month since I started tracking.

I've also gamed in a number of online locations - BSW, GameTableOnline, Neuroshima Hex Online, and several others. I should really throw a post together about the online gaming scene, as it's pretty deep these days.

The busiest before this is August of 2007, which was 97 plays - 35 of which were at GenCon. It's weird, but GenCon may actually reduce my games played for the month of August this year. In previous years, August was nearly double any other month.

I spent my weekend editing a secret project. This is the first time I've been specifically asked not to discuss what I was working on. I usually don't talk too much about unpublished products, as I don't want to violate Asmodee's trust. This time, I can't discuss it at all. Again: I didn't sign an NDA. I'm on my honor, as it were. I can say that I'm looking forward to this one. Of course, I haven't had a project yet that I wasn't looking forward to.

Well, maybe Ave Caesar, but that game has really grown on me. To the point where it's one of my favorite filler games. And a game I don't play nearly often enough. Maybe I should grab a copy for this Wednesday.

I also got a chance to read through Alkemy again. I don't get a lot of chance to do miniatures gaming these days, but I still enjoy reading the rules and looking for unit "combos."

A couple of New Year's Resolutions that may impact my gaming and/or blogging this year:
1) I will play board games within one month of their purchase. Exception: GenCon Purchases, where I will give myself two months.
2) I will play in or run at least a one-shot for every RPG system for which I purchase a book this year. Exception: IPR books. Because I plan to buy a LOT of those.
3) More photography. I own three excellent digital cameras, two of which go with me everywhere. There is no excuse for me not to take more photos of my gaming. Especially when I'm starting to get (more reliably) results like this:
Narrow Lead

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:22 AM

    I've thought about this very topic and I just don't see online games as counting as "Games Played" as much as other games with real people. It's the social nature that makes boardgaming an event for me...

    But that's just me... others are free to make their own decisions.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete